Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Different Look at Volunteering

Volunteer? That was something people who did not have to work full time did. It was not for the average American struggling to make ends meet. There was always an excuse, although not always a valid one. Whether it was time or fear of commitment to an organization, I always found a reason not to volunteer. This was ironic for someone that would regularly donate and support pet rescues. For me, it was always “I wish I had the time to volunteer and help.” I had even adopted my last to dogs from rescues.

For 10 years this pattern continued for me. I would donate to rescues and say someday I would love to be able to work with a rescue group. Then, less than 2 months ago, someday became today. I woke up one morning and decided I was not going to wish about helping and doing something. I was going to be proactive and seek out how I could help.

It just so happened that I was doing some shopping that afternoon and noticed a rescue group doing an adoption event in the parking lot , so I stopped by to talk to them. I stood out there talking to them and visiting some of the sweetest dogs. Little did I know these people where just like me. They had “real” jobs and a passion for animals. But, we all had that common bond of wanting to help animals. The difference was that they were actually doing something. I have to admit, they did inspire me to take action.

I have no clue what they were thinking when I showed up and said I wanted to volunteer to help.  I was so nervous talking to them, but they made me feel so welcome and explained how easy it is to volunteer.   I was completely surprised by the simplicity of the application process. I went home and filled out the application to take back to them the next day.

I had finally taken that first step and was hoping I could follow through and be someone they could count on for help. Well, by the next day, the volunteer application process was over. I was now an official volunteer with a rescue group and three days later, I was doing my first transport of an animal.

The feeling of that first day volunteering to help animals is something I struggle to explain to people. I was so excited and nervous going into it. The transport was really my first time doing something with the group and I did not want anything to go wrong.  When it was all said and done, I was just thinking how easy it was. The recue group had the process down to a science. It only took about 1.5 hours, out of the 168 hours in a week, to help an animal. I could not help but wonder why I waited all these years to do this? It was so easy and no time at all.

Well, as it turned out, I was able to do it again the next week. Being able to help like this had me feeling like one of the luckiest people around. This little act of transporting an animal was one of the highlights of my week. It felt so good to be able to help and give back; especially something as easy as picking up an animal and driving it somewhere. It gave me such a sense of pride and fulfillment.

It is hard to imagine that just about 2 weeks later I am sitting in a meeting for a new rescue group that was starting. It was at this meeting that I truly started to understand the depth of these groups and how much help they need for various departments. The most surprising realization was that they had opportunities for anyone who wanted to help. If you had 2 hours a month, they would find a way for you to help. Many of these volunteer possibilities were jobs that could be done from home on your own schedule, so there was something to fit everyone’s schedule. In addition, it was so comforting how no one was ever looked down upon based on experience with rescues or available time to give.

I now find myself working with 2 different rescue groups with some of the most amazing people I know. I cannot speak for all rescue groups’ personnel, but the people I work with are some of the most dedicated, caring, passionate and professional people I know. They all give so much of themselves for the better of the group. Whether it is the person that spends an hour a month helping to those of us spending hours each day; everyone works together.

If you truly are thinking about and wanting to help, take that first step and ask what you can do. I would be willing to bet there is something that fits your schedule. I am even more certain that like so many of us that are volunteering, it will change your life forever. It is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do.

I hope you too will experience the joy of helping our four legged friends experience a life that otherwise would not be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment